Jan 19, 2010

DAY 1 Journal Entry: MUSIC

Below you will find a YouTube video that features the Incubus song "Idiot Box". Notice that the lyrics can be found under the YouTube video. Please focus on the message that is being conveyed through the lyrics. What is the lead singer hoping to express to the audience? Although this song acts as a social commentary for one very common electronic device (the TV), consider how one could apply these same ideas to the many electronic devices that people utilize and possibly over utilize within our culture today.

Before you write today's persuasive Journal Entry, write a brief EXPOSITORY response that explains your interpretation of the piece. Remember to write with a top down approach and present the conclusion (interpretation) at the beginning of your response. Provide evidence to support this interpretation in the sentences that follow the interpretation.



After we discuss everyone's thoughts on "Idiot Box," write a 250-500 word persuasive Journal Entry based on the class's as well as your own interpretation of the lyrics. Before you begin writing, consider the above questions that I've posed. Then, PERSUADE the reader that electronic devices like the TV and more current devices like the cell phone, iPod, or gaming systems have a positive or negative effect on society today. This Journal Entry may be a continuation from today's expository piece. HAVE FUN!

(please excuse the vulgar language)

Idiot Box, Incubus
You keep your riches and I'll sew my stitches,
you can't make me think like you, mundane.
I've got a message for all those who think that
they can etch his words inside my brain

T.V., what do I need?
Tell me who to believe!
What's the use of autonomy
when a button does it all?

So listen up,
glisten up closely all,
who've seen the f***in eye ache too.
It's time to step away from cable train
And when we finally see the subtle light,
this quirk in evolution will begin
to let us live and recreate

T.V., what do I need?
Tell me who to believe!
Whats the use of autonomy
when a button does it all?
T.V., what should I see?
Tell me who should I be?
Lets do our mom a favor and drop
a new god off a wall.

Let me see past the fatuous knocks.
I've gotta rid myself of this idiot box!
Let you see past the feathers and flocks,
and help me plant a bomb in this idiot box!
From the depths of the sea
to the tops of the trees
to the seat of a lazy boy...
staring at a silver screen!!